Thursday, February 19, 2009

My son the Unibomber???

Yesterday afternnon my wife called me at work to inform me that our six-year-old son came home pretended to put a bomb in his sisters room--which caused his older sister some frustration. We were relived to discover that his "bomb" was a piece of paper with scribbles on it. Whew!

This morning when we were having breakfast I asked him about his bomb making activity. He went on to tell me how he had "planted an explosive device" in a girl's backpack at school too. Inside I was like, "YOU DID WHAT?????!!!!!" while on the outside, I said "Really buddy, what made you want to do that?" He went on to tell me that the girls in the class where trying to "capture" him at recess and so he wanted to "develop some technology that could stop them." So he invented an "explosive," a "listening device," and a "laptop." He went on to explain in great detail how these three devices would work together so that he and his mates could play freely on the playground without the interference of the fairer sex.

Of course we had to have a long talk about the school system in no way likes the talk, idea, or mentioning of any kind of weapons (including IEDs) while at school and this would get me a certain trip to the principal's office. Willing to please and obey, he sadly said, "I guess I will have to go to school and get the bomb out of her backpack." He genuinely looked really really sad. To make matters worse, we had to pick up two neighbors on the way to school (both girls) and he had to ride in the back with them.

Boys will be boys.

Stephen

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, my boys love to torture the girls at church by chasing and teasing them.

    As for bombs, we've had none of those but have had a palm tree very close to a thatch roof catch fire from some "experimenting" with a lighter.

    Yes, boys will be boys!! We have 4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only one who wonders how fair the schools' zero-tolerance pollicies are when it comes to weapons? I totally understand the need to keep our children safe, and sadly, a number of events in our society have led to this. But boys WILL be boys, and for many boys that includes *pretending* about weapons. Look at all the creativity that went into your son's creation.

    What do our boys lose when they get the message that all weapon/destruction-related creativity (whether in story, artwork or other form) is bad?

    Jennifer
    http://bloggingboutboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete